Wednesday, September 16, 2015

God Speaks to Me About Islam

It is very  interesting that a 9th grade boy in Texas named Ahmed Mohamed was arrested because he brought a clock that he built to school. Many at the school assumed it was a bomb. The charges were dropped. I've heard some very unkind things have still been said to and about him despite the truth being as benign as it is. I was VERY upset that this happened to this boy who honestly looked like he was about the size of my 11 year old son, Benjamin.

The reason I say it is interesting is because for years God has been giving me a heart for Muslim women and Christian women living in Muslim nations.This actually began when George Bush was president when the Persian Gulf War was being fought. I was very young. God gave me several dreams that involved Muslims. I do not have the full meaning of the dreams. I have received partial meanings to one (which I will share another time, perhaps). The dream that stayed with me in a very powerful way, involved me being in my kitchen. These two women were wearing head scarves and  came through my back door, very humbly. I immediately felt a kindness and a love with them. I was afraid at first but soon realized they meant me no harm. They were so humble that they took out my trash. The dream ended as they left my home, peacefully.

The dream changed me. I hadn't realize it until recently. This dream had such an impact on me. The strong emotions of love and humility caused me to be much more open minded and less afraid of those who practice Islam or live in a culture where Islam is the main religion. The only meaning God has given me about this dream is simply the impact of it. Why they are taking out my trash, as a kind gesture, I am not certain. If I need to know, I will know and I will know when God wants me to know. I don't fret over dreams I don't have meaning to. It's God's business. He gave them to me. He will reveal reason for them if He chooses, when the time is right. I just pray.

In the last few months God brought a Christian women who is Pakistani into my life. She runs a home for children there. God told me when I was praying one night, 'I'm taking you to a nation that is far away,'. It was very strange but I've learned not to discount nor avoid such messages when I pray. I believe this is happening online.I teach the children once a week by way of Skype. I cannot tell you the impact these Christians have had on me, my heart and my views. Being a Christian in a country who has rule by the Taliban is no easy thing. And yet, I have met this beautiful woman who devotes all her time to running a home for Christian children and sharing Christ with any woman who will listen. She often wears a head scarf. Very beautiful and always reminds me of my dream. God can take us to far away lands now, thanks to technology.

A few weeks ago, I went with some other Christians (from my church) to visit elderly, pray with the sick and hurting and share God's love with them. It was an amazing experience. We prayed. We wrote down things God showed us for we asked the Father to show us where to go and who needs Him. I saw a little girl with a pony tail and a pink shirt on. Me, my nephew and a dear friend all saw different things. We drove into a park and I saw a little girl with a pink shirt on and a pony tail. We went to two women who were standing nearby (assuming one of them was the mother). One of the women explained to me that the child belonged to someone else. She pointed toward the back of the park with a touch of disdain that actually bothered me. The woman was Muslim. We went to speak with her. She knew very little English. I've prayed for her so much.

At church on a Wednesday night after this event, one of my friends at church gave me a book. A very kind gesture and one of love. It was a book about reaching Muslims for Christ.

It is clear by the timeline that God is speaking to me about praying and ministering to women in Muslim cultures whether Christian or Muslim. My heart bursts with a love for them. It is God's love.

I usually don't watch all the documentaries regarding September 11, 2001. I am a sensitive person. I have learned when watching something benefits me and when it just brings me down. This year, I felt the 'need' to watch a few documentaries. I needed to grieve, mourn and pray. I needed to go back. Details I'd forgotten of that day came back to me quite fresh. For me, it wasn't a political watch. Though I have my passions regarding politics, they reside beneath my passion for Christ Jesus and my relationship with Him and my love for my neighbor. I noticed something I hadn't seen before. Muslim women weeping and running along with Americans in New York that day. I learned that out of the 2,996 people killed, 60 were Muslim (in the attack on the World Trade Center). And 1,632 were unidentified. There could have been more.

I also learned that after the attacks, many American Muslims lost their jobs, were evicted from their homes and were outcast in many ways JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE BROWN AND PRACTICED ISLAM. Children were bullied.

I sit and think on things. I am the kind of person that marinates and meditates. I try to look at all sides of  an issue. I realize people were very afraid. I took a moment and was very honest with myself. Would I respond similarly? I can honestly say I would probably be a little afraid but I would not be unkind toward them. I am also nonviolent. Some people call me a pacifist, as though it is an insult. It's not an insult to me. Jesus was a pacifist not matter how Christian extremists try to make Him a sword wielding warrior.

I admit that I have gotten nervous when I see Middle Easterners on flights I've taken. I think most Americans would feel this way. But my respite, comfort and solution to this is to pray. And rest in faith that I would respond to a 'hijacker' event in the most productive, pro-life way possible, as this is my desire as a Christian.

I never thought God would bring something like this into my life. I don't know where He will lead and use me with this love. I know this can be a dangerous thing. I would be ignorant and a liar if I did not acknowledge that. There are several truths I will point out here:

1.  I believe Islam is a deceptive path of spirituality
2.  I believe the majority of Muslims that are kind
3.  I believe some Muslims become violent out of fear
4.  I hope all of those Muslim extremists who attacked our nation pay for their crimes
5.  I will stand up for Muslims or people from Muslim nations who now live in America that are         arrested or mistreated where no evidence of terrorism is presented.

It is a very dangerous thing to reach out to Muslims with the truth of Jesus Christ. Most Christian persecution occurs in Muslim nations. True, the most Christian persecution occurs in North Korea and Islam is not the dominant religion. At one time it was Buddhism and there was a minority of Christians. Now, it is predominantly atheist. Atheism is promoted. Another nation that is high on the list is China. It is not an Islamic nation. Even in Kenya, where Christianity is most commonly practiced has experienced recent persecution. I know this because friends recently went on a mission trip to Kenya but were not allowed to enter the country due to violent persecution.

I apologize for going on and on. I suppose I'd like to express that I realize how dangerous things are at this time. I live here in a wonderful country where I do not have to be so concerned about the danger. But I do have a 'knowing' within that I am in more danger than I can logically see. But I am not afraid. It causes me to be more aware and to pray for discernment and direction in a new way.

Who knows? Perhaps God will have me go on the next missions trip to the Philippines (with our church). Perhaps I will get the opportunity to visit Pakistan. Not if my husband has anything to do with it. All will be revealed. All will be known. I trust God in all things.

Matthew 10:28- "Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Psalm 56:11- In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.


No comments:

Post a Comment